Michael Morpurgo talks to us about writing historical novels and what inspired him to tell the amazing story of Henry Tandey, the most decorated soldier in World War One.
Audio from Tim Butcher’s talk at Chalke Valley History Festival on 28th June 2014.
On a summer morning in Sarajevo a 101 years ago, a teenage assassin fired not just the opening shots of the first world war but the starting gun for modern history. Best-selling author Tim Butcher tells the story of Gavrilo Princip, whose killing of Archduke Franz Ferdinand proved so catastrophic that his own story has been largely overlooked.
Audio from Kate Adie’s talk at the Chalke Valley Festival on Monday, 23rd June 2014.
Renowned broadcaster and bestselling author Kate Adie reveals the ways in which women’s lives changed during WWI with fascinating details of their struggle for admission into the world of men. She charts the seismic move towards equal rights that began a century ago and show how women emerged from the shadows of their domestic lives.
- 🎧 TYPHOONS AND THE EFFECT OF AIR POWER24th February 2020 - 1:03 pm
- WINKLE AND THE JETS21st February 2020 - 9:39 am
- 🎧 Lenin’s Train20th January 2020 - 2:41 pm
- 🎧 Young Churchill27th November 2019 - 1:56 pm
- 🎧 THE MAYFLOWER GENERATION: THE FAMILIES, THE VOYAGE AND THE FOUNDING OF AMERICA19th November 2019 - 10:56 am